English camp comes at the start of Summer and Winter breaks. It generally lasts about 10 days and the day usually ends before noon. At least that’s how it was at my school. Camps are usually on the drab side as I’m left looking for activities that will keep the students engaged and showing up as camp wears on. This time around, the English Department put together a much more fun and interesting schedule including trips to the English radio station, Gyung-Ju historical region of Korea, and English library.
In addition to this, I was asked to do a cooking class. Now the irony of this is probably too difficult to put to words. I’m one who has trouble boiling water and even run the risk of burning it if I wasn’t careful. Nonetheless, it’s how I would roll for English Camp this summer. Celebrity chef style. The recipe I was asked to prepare with the students? Cake in a Mug.
This was a lesson idea I had suggested a while back during the regular semester, but seeing that the materials would cost too much for 450 students, we bypassed the idea. But for 10-15 students in camp it would be just right. I found a recipe for making cake in a mug online and created a supplemental vocabulary sheet for students to refer to. I also created a script that the students would use when demonstrating the activity. This way they would understand the terms and have something to refer to while they were in front of the class. I also knew in the back of my mind that I would be recording it so having a script made it run smoothly.
I must say that the activity was a raving success. And I caught it all on video which is posted below. The recipe for the cake in a mug I found is as follows:
Big coffee mug, microwave, flour and baking powder (or self-rising flour), sugar, cocoa powder, milk, eggs, oil, chocolate chips.
- Put 2 tablespoons of flour in the mug,
- Add half a teaspoon of baking powder,
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar,
- Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder,
- Mix the dry ingredients together,
- Add 1 and a half tablespoons of milk,
- Add 1 and a half tablespoons of oil,
- Add 1 (or half) egg,
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth and no clumps,
- Add chocolate chips (optional),
- Put mug into the microwave for between 1-3 minutes depending on the strength,
- Once the mix rises for a few seconds, the cake should be done.
- Remove and let sit for a a few minutes,
- Chow down.