Teaching License

TeacherReady – The University of West Florida is one of very few universities that provide for online license delivery through their TeacherReady program. In order to sit for the three state licensing exams in Florida (General Knowledge, Professional Education, and subject area endorsement), one must first successfully complete this course. Once completed, you will need to pass the three state exams at one of the testing centers located throughout Florida.

Remember, a teaching license is different than a TESOL certificate as it allows you teach in public schools in your home state or province.

This program is a Heaven-sent for teachers already living abroad. It allows you to complete the course online while using the experience from your current teaching position to satisfy the practicum requirements. Thanks to TeacherReady, I was able to obtain my Florida teaching license without skipping a beat during my time in Korea. I just used my vacation time to fly back home to sit for the exams.

TeacherReady is growing in leaps and bounds because of its online availability. There were many overseas teachers enrolled with me. The lesson delivery and management portal seems to improve after each cohort.

Florida hopeful teachers can be happy to know this program exists if they are currently teaching overseas. For non-Floridians, a Florida teaching license may be transferable to your home state.


  1. Tom,
    Thank you so much for your commitment to sharing your teaching experiences and your life enrichment living abroad. How wonderful. So exciting for us at the University of West Florida’s TeacherReady program to be part of your journey; thank you. And, thank you for the work that you do every day to educate students. You make a difference,

    • Thanks so much. It’s been a great journey so far and I’m glad I went through the TeacherReady program. It made a huge difference in my options.

  2. Hi. Could you recommend masters or second bachelor programs that lead to license. I have a B.A. in English and some education coursework at the undergraduate and graduate level, however, I have reached an impasse. The program will not allow me to stay in my classroom in a Chinese high school because it isn’t an international or U.S. accredited school. So I need program that will allow me to use my classroom to fulfill practicum requirements and also allow me to finish the program online.

  3. What are the benefits of having a teaching license when teaching English abroad? As a Californian, how would I benefit? How drastic of an impact would it be to have a teaching license and a TEFL certificate? Is a BA required to obtain said teaching license? Thank you so much in advance.

Share Your Thoughts


Loading Facebook Comments ...